Welcome to the beginning!!

This is the tale of the ongoing adventure that is my 1934 coupe. The story winds it's way through about every aspect of my life, so I imagine it will get off track quite a bit. I envision a section that deals with the technical and the hard lessons that I am learning as I go. I am in the process of doing my first ground up construction of a car, and as usual, the learning curve is steep and painful.
The story starts at the beginning about 3 years ago and I'll try to keep it current. I welcome questions if you have any.
Stay tuned and I hope you enjoy my ramblings...

Thursday, August 23, 2007

If it weren't for bad luck....

You know the rest. F@#king UPS! I finally found another transmission after getting jerked around for a month by some ass on racingjunk - a used Mike's Ultimate TH400 competition transmission. It was just freshened and cost me $1300 so far. Not bad considering that it's a $2200 piece new. Stout enough for a 3800 pound low 9 second car! I was dealing with an honest person (nice for a change) in California. He paid $140 for the UPS Store to package and ship this to me.





I arrived home at about 8:30pm from a long day at work to find a good sized box waiting for me in the driveway. Hmmm, cardboard with transmission fliud all over it. I carted it down to the garage and opened it up. After the first flap was opened, it was obvious that swomeone didn't know what the hell they were doing. The transmission was packaged in STYROFOAM and 2 cardboard boxes!!!! Frank (They guy I bought it from) told me that he paid the money and even gave them the hardware to mount it to a wooden frame. At least there is some liability on their part. Needless to say at this point that the transmission was destroyed completely. Thanks you F@#king UPS Store idiots. This is going to set everything back even further. Great!



Well, a week later... The UPS driver came and picked up the destroyed tranny. I was left with a slip of paper with a phone number on it. I called the number the next day at 10:30 in the morning, but I somehow missed the damage clerk. They were probably too busy damaging stuff. SInce I was calling from home, I'll reserve judgement on working hours. I left my number and waited for the return call... and waited....and waited. After 24 hours, I called again. As my good luck would have it, I was connected with the damage clerk. She was as disinterested in helping me as possible. Oh yes, complete with sighs and one word answers to complicated questions. After grilling her about the process, I found out that UPS will happily destroy something they ship and return it to the original shipper, and even refund the original shipper. Apparently getting my money back was "my problem, not theirs". Can you say FEDEX? I will next time.



Luckily, I am dealing with a truly stand up person in California. He is going to get the refund money and see if the transmission can be re-cased or have a super bell housing installed and send it back to me. Wow, there are good people left in the world. He has sworn off of UPS as well. Hey UPS, it's called customer service. Brown can do nothing for me anymore.



After a quick call to Donnie, we are going to find a junkyard TH400 so he can install the crossmember and driveshaft loop and get the car back to me. I'm not about to rush him - it's been 100+ degrees outside and his shop doesn't have AC.



Stay tuned as the saga continues.

No comments: